Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Sleepers - Lorenzo Carcaterra

This has been my first crime book in quite a while, although it is non-fiction I have never enjoyed crime novels ever, I read one, and only one have I enjoyed however I think this has moved me.. 
This is a non-fiction book based on the writer Lorenzo and his friendship between three other friends - their journey through a terrible experience. 



The Story - 
Without too many spoilers, this is about four close best friends living in New York (a small area called Hell's Kitchen) populated by Irish, Italian, Puerto Rican's and Eastern European's. They are sent to a Reformatory school after one of their pranks ends badly, where they undergo mistreatment from the industry. Year's later an action from two of the friends brings them all back together as they try to take down the people who hurt them.  Brief but it's so easy to let it all out. 

This is a beautiful, emotional story and so well written, Lorenzo tell's it like a fairy tale making you wanna turn that page every time. I couldn't put it down.. until I really had to. I cannot wait to read more of his books (non-fiction and fiction) I definitely think next on my list is the other non-fiction book he wrote called Safe Place. I've never read such a gripping story told in such a outstanding way.. I've read a lot as well. 

There was a film adaptation made in 1996, with actors like Kevin Bacon, Brad Pitt, Robert De Niro and Minnie Driver. I personally.. didn't actually like Kevin Bacon after I watched it.. so be warned and it's a very different role from what Robert De Niro usually plays. 

Check out Lorenzo Carcaterra's website by clicking here. 

1 comment:

  1. The movie has been in my top 10 best films I have ever watched, you feel scared when they are scared when they are in the reformatory and then when the 2 had their moment to stand up tall to the one that hurt them the most you felt that justification afterwards. Then when they all band together when they are older to bring these people down piece by piece its amazing and stomach curling! I haven't read the book but now I really want to!!! I am diff going to check it out. Thanks for the review xoxo- Cyndi www.cdelbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete